How To Cut A Slot In Wood With A Router
Statistics show that a router is a standard tool that is highly applicable in woodcutting. Its usage is mainly-attributed to its high level of efficiency and reliability. Routers come in different shapes and professionally crafted for various purposes. Thus it is vital to be clear with the type of the router that you require according to its purposes.
Nevertheless, some people also prefer other types of cutting tools. Like any other tool, routers also come with their shortcomings. In this article, there are highlights on the pros and cons of a router. Also, it gives insight on how to cut a slot in wood with a router. Consequently, you will have an easier time in fathoming the work-ability of your tool and also how to drill slots using a router. Hence, keep on reading to learn more
Advantages Of A Router
Every time I am deciding on which tool to get for my workshop, I usually highlight all its pros and cons. Later I weigh them to determine the efficiency and effectiveness of the device. Out of experience, I can make a firm conclusion that this unique approach never fails to earn you the ideal tool for your activity. After intensive research, here are highlights on the pros of using a router to cut slots in wood and one more detail on how to cut a slot in wood.
- Setting up the routers does not require a high level of expertise. Hence routers are very recommendable for amateurs in woodwork. Also, due to its high level of simplicity in its operations, the router is recommendable in a time-saving environment.
- High level of accuracy. Mortising requires a high level of accuracy. Slight mistakes may cause to wastage of wood which may turn out to be expensive thus uneconomical. Sharpening your skills in mortising may fail to bear fruits if you are using a faulty tool. As a precaution, routers are skillfully-fashioned with a high level of accuracy. As a result, their cuts are very smooth and attractive
- Super-versatile tool. A router is a multipurpose tool. Among the applications is cutting slots and making grooves in the wood. All its cuts are very smooth and perfect. It is a tool that will serve in place of a variety of tools hence a very economical machine.
- Safety of the workers. The employer to ensure that your workforce is not at any peril. Ignorance may cause the ruining of your reputation and some immense losses. The crafting of routers effectually-considered the safety of the workers and ensures that they are not at any risk. Hence it is a tool that will increase productivity and build your reputation
- Recommendable in the time-saving environment. Routers work at high speed without altering its high level of accuracy. Thus using a router in pour woodworking will help to conserve time hence increasing output in a specified time. It is a useful tool that will guarantee you soar high in your work without any defects. More so, this tool is very affordable and available in the shops. You can visit the nearest hardware to purchase it or make an online order.
- Routers have an elegant, ergonomic, and portable design. They are ultra-light to reduce strain while using them and during movements.
- The compatibility of the workshop is a very vital feature. Routers are very fit; thus, they take very little space while storing them. Thus they are very relevant in space-limited working places.
Disadvantages Of A Router
- Cannot make deep cuts in a single pass
- Routers are not efficient in heavy-duty cutting
- Router bits availability is limited
Despite the shortcomings of routers, their usage is indispensable. They have a high level of efficiency and accuracy that is not commutable. They have a top-notch level of work-ability and it is a wise decision to use them in slot cutting
How To Cut A Slot In A Wood With A Router
- Place the wood on the routing table. Advisably, when using a router, you should also have a routing table. Place the wood to be cut on the routing table horizontally.
- Using a straight-edged ruler, draw clear and accurate slots boundary on both sides. Ensure you use a sharp and visible pencil while drawing the slot lines.
- Set the bit size in the router. To avoid fatigue, ensure that you have a mid-size and portable router to prevent strain on the heads.
- Place the fence of the router on the center of the slots. This step requires a high level of accuracy. ensure the fence is entirely on the middle of the bit slot before going to the next step
- set the left top in the right position and secure it
- using the bits, drill overlapping holes within the slot boundaries
- with the auxiliary guide, feed the router part until it hits the stop
- using the router, rout the slots of the required depth
Routers are conventional in most of the workshops. It is a result of their relevant pros, which increases their efficiency. A router is professionally-crafted to promise an error-free cutting. They have a high level of accuracy; hence all its cuts are smooth thus-reducing wastage of materials. It is a tool that will ensure that all your employees are safe from all possible accidents. Thus an original router will help to build your reputation and increase productivity.
What about time-saving. In all our duties, we aim at saving as much time as possible. Also, we prefer a tool that will ensure that we meet the given deadlines. A router is one of such devices. It works at super high speed compared to other devices of its like. Hence it is highly recommendable to increase the output of your work. This article has also briefly- discussed how to cut a slot in wood with a router. All the steps are clear from ambiguity; hence they will offer the needed guidance. Nevertheless, ensure that you wear the appropriate safety attire. one more thing you need to know how to use a slot cutting router bit. More Details